Sweet Pickled Wild Garlic Buds
Makes one jar. Serve your pickled buds with a choice of cheese and biscuits, in a salad or as a tasty garnish with a garlic punch! The uses for these rather delicious pickles are only as limited as your imagination…so let if fly!
Servings: 1 Jar
- A large handful of fresh wild garlic flower buds carefully washed
- 200 ml approx. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp allspice or pine or spruce tips
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Sterilise a jar and a vinegar-proof lid to fit your wild garlic buds. (an old jam jar will do)
- Pack the buds tightly into your jar. They’ll shrink when the hot water is added, so make sure you pack them in tight.
- Heat the vinegar, sugar, salt, all spice and bay leaves gently in a pan until the sugar dissolves. DON’T use an aluminium pan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for a couple of minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the hot, spiced pickling vinegar over the buds to cover them, leaving about a cm space from the top of the jar.
- Leave for 5 mins to allow the vinegar to start to penetrate the buds and for the liquid level to settle.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, slowly move it around the inside of the jar to remove any air bubbles.
- If necessary, top up with more vinegar until it reaches approx 1 cm from the top of the jar and then seal the jar with the lid.
- Leave to mature in a cool, dry place for 2 weeks to a month.
- Then open….and enjoy!
Please follow, like and share: