Comfrey Fritters & Wild Greens Salad
Please follow, like and share:
Comfrey – Symphytum Orientale
- Season – May – October.
- Only pick leaves from the white flowered comfrey plants.
- Flowers have drooping tubular/bell shapes.
- Flowers April/May.
- Can be mistaken for other varieties of comfrey, but look for the white flowers in this case.
- Stem leaves are more rounded than other comfrey leaves.
- Loves damp, dark habitats such as woodlands, river banks, hedgerows, roadside verges….
Comfrey Fritters on a Bed of Wild Greens Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 100 g gram flour batter chickpea
- ¼ tsp mixed herbs
- rapeseed oil for frying
- 8 freshly picked young comfrey leaves
- 4 large handfuls of wild greens anything in season (i.e. chickweed, miners lettuce, dandelion leaves, violet leaves)
- 25 g sunflower seeds
- Small handful of daisy flower heads optional
- Pinch mixed herbs
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Make batter by adding 100g gram flour with a little water, and mix until you have a thick consistency, a bit like custard. Add herbs to the batter (leave to stand for 10-30 mins before using).
Wipe the comfrey leaves through the batter, then deep fry them for 1 min in the rape seed oil. Drain, then place 2 fritters on top of each salad, and garnish with daisy flower heads.
Mix up the wild greens, mixed herbs, and seeds in a bowl, then distribute evenly on 4 plates.
In a cup, add the sugar, oil and vinegar and mix well. Then drizzle a tbsp over salad on each plate.